Friday, December 1, 2017

The years go by...

December 2008: I don't think people can build things anymore. My oven door broke, and the 'thing-ma-gig' that broke is not under guarantee. If, when the thing-ma-gig broke, I'd let the door fall off instead of catching it, and the glass broke THAT would have been insured. As it was, the little joint that held the door broke, I caught the door, took the oven to the store, and was told to 'Go buy a new Oven'.
My daughter, who was with me, said loudly, 'We'll go buy it in Another Store, Not Here. I'm Never buying anything Here Again.'
The serviceman, who was just doing his job, replied, 'Happy Holidays to you, too.'
I'm afraid I started to laugh hysterically.
My stepmother sent me a check for Christmas, I used it as my oven money; Thank you, Anne!
(We did, however, go to another store)

December 2009:  The other day I made quince jelly – it looked so lovely when it was done – the prettiest peach color – I had to take a picture of my breakfast!
Quince jelly:
Cut up four or five quinces (leave the skin, but wipe the fuzz off) and cut out the seeds. Cover with water and boil for about an hour until everything is mush. Strain, and then add the same amount of sugar as juice (I never measure, I just looked and guessed – but probably measure the cups of water / cups of sugar ratio. Add the juice of one lemon. Bring to a boil and cook 10 more minutes then pour into jam jars. Let set overnight.
Enjoy!


















December 2010 - 2013 (A new job puts a crimp on blogging
I have yet to settle into my new schedule, so I have yet to work out when to log on to the internet and write in my blog. Read and write books. To do housework & Cook
Take kids to various sporting events, social functions, school, etc.. Play with the dogs or take a walk, play some golf or go to the pool and swim…but I do know when I’m working.
Seems like it’s about 12 hours a day right now.
This morning my English student didn’t show up and I got a whole hour free just to fiddle around on the internet! Hello blog!
This afternoon I have another English lesson and about 5 hours of work lined up for me.
Tomorrow is another horse show, so there goes my Sunday.
I wonder if I can clone myself?
Meanwhile, here is a picture of my daughter setting the table for lunch.


No December posts until 2016... and then
Dear Santa,
Despite what you may have heard, I’ve been pretty good this year. It’s true I tend to rant a lot, especially on Facebook, and especially since the Donald was elected president of the US by a minority vote, but who’s counting? I have started telling everyone I’m from the Caribbean when they ask – I no longer say “America”, when I do, people look sympathetic, as if I’m suddenly seated in a wheelchair or I’ve just announced I have leprosy. When Bush was president, I admit things were bad – he was like a toddler with a rocket launcher. But this is worse. The Donald is a crazed toddler with the Nuclear button at his fingertips. I don’t pray very often, but lately I’ve been praying a lot. “Dear God, I’ve never asked for a lightning bolt before, but….” 
At any rate, Santa, I was hoping to ask for peace on Earth, goodwill to mankind this Christmas season. A nice gift would be the gift of tolerance. There are many people I’d like to receive this gift. People who tend to lump everyone in groups or speak from ignorance: “immigrants are all terrorists”, “homosexuals should not be allowed to raise children”, “marriage is for a man and a woman”, “there is a war on Christmas.” Santa – I ask you – has anyone declared war on Christmas? I’m shaking my head here. Even some of my Muslim and Jewish friends have Christmas trees and sing Christmas carols – how ignorant can you get to claim there is a war on Christmas?
As for the immigrants are terrorists – Santa, do I look like a terrorist to you? And yet, I’m an immigrant, and my family arrived in America on boats – one jumped overboard and swam ashore, he was on a prison boat headed towards a prison colony and life as an indentured servant – he jumped ship and arrived in the US with no papers, clandestine, and criminal. Now it’s a family story. Do you think that the refugees who are arriving in Europe and America will have family stories too?
Dear Santa, several of my friends, including school friends, are raising children in same-sex households. Their children are pretty cool, seem very well adjusted, are doing great in school, and are happy and healthy human beings. I’m sure they have questions about who they are and where they came from, and some of those questions will never be answered – but that won’t ruin their lives, any more than my adopted friends who grew up in more traditional households lives were ruined. People adapt pretty well. But I have friends who believe that gay people shouldn’t marry or have kids. For Christmas, could you please give them understanding, and failing that, could you have them read these scientific studies that show that children raised by same sex parents thrive? I’m not saying shove the studies down their throats. I’m simply thinking it very loudly.
Dear Santa, the Christmas tree lights are blinking. Night has fallen. I made cookies this afternoon and the house smells like chocolate and brown sugar. I don’t want anything for myself for Christmas – truly, all I want is Peace on Earth, and that part about Good Will is important too. A little more tolerance, except for the Donald. A little more love – for everyone. A little more sharing. I promise to do my part this year, if you do yours, Santa.
Here you go – this song is for you.
December 1, 2017. I still rant on Facebook, my appliances still break down. Latest one is my blender, not three months old, I poured veggies in it to puree for a soup, and the plastic blender cracked. Soup everywhere. What a mess. We went back to the store (the one in the first post, to be exact - not the same salesman, luckily...) and ordered a new blender - bowl thing. You know, not the machine, the plastic holder that...What is that called anyway? Well, I ordered it and am waiting. Hopefully it will get here for Christmas. It will be odd having Christmas this year - the first year that the children don't live here, so they will be coming as guests, bringing their loved ones. How lucky we are that we can welcome them in our home, when so many others are homeless right now. This year, my Christmas prayers are going to the people displaced by war and religious intolerance. 
This year we are having couscous for Christmas - a North African dish with mutton, loads of winter vegetables, and semoule. You can eat it as a soup, a stew, or as a dish. For desert we'll have clemantine oranges with cinnamon and homemade icecream. My mother in law is too ill to come, as is her sister, so my husband and I are organizing a Christmas day tour to visit them. I don't know what to bring - any ideas? Two elderly, bedridden ladies - what would cheer them up? 
I have a whole month to plan, clean the house, and get ready...(it may not be enough, lol). What are your plans for the holidays?  

4 comments:

  1. Two elderly bedridden ladies...poor souls. Flowers brighten the room!? Pillows to prop up on, if one wants to sit up!? Do they read? (a million books, yours!) Special tea or coffee in pretty tins? A small "throw" for added warmth? Bed jackets? Warm socks? Breakfast tray? Electronic game (simple) like solitaire? If you know their interests, maybe magazines or subscriptions to support them? Have a jolly December, sweets. My plan is to NOT get depressed this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these ladies is not a poor soul.. She doesn't. need anything or anybody. She's got everything and nothing never pleases her, believe me, if you could see what she does with them... A book would be alright... I've just finished a very interesting book : MONSTRE by Gérard Depardieu... if I was to give her a gift, that's what I would give her... maybe she would learn certain things from it. As for us, we will spend Christmas in Le Havre, with Clément and Aurélie. Clément will be on duty so we'll be spending time with Aurélie. Audrey will be at Aurélien's place near Pontoise. Hope you'll have a great Christmas with all your loving ones. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard Clement will be at the Nautical show in Paris? It sounds like fun! And Le Havre sounds lovely too - do you drive past Mantes on the way (or way back??) Why not stop for a visit!

      Delete

A Cure for Spring Fever by Barbara Robinson

  This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions . The author will award a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly dr...